Friday, September 15, 2006

Lane Kim's MOJO

My copy of the MOJO Collection arrived in the mail. This purchase falls in step with my recent spate of reading centering loosely around rock journalism and rock history ("rock" used as a general classification to include all popular music). While I don't think it necessary to own all 700+ albums reviewed therein, I would like to give each one a listen.

I'm giving myself a decade.

This will likely diversify my podcasts, a good thing by all accounts. I've included this small bit of dialogue from an episode of Gilmore Girls to convey significance. Lorelai and Rory are eating breakfast at Luke's. It is the first day of school. In walks Lane:
Lane: Oh, thank God you haven't left yet.
Rory: Nope...what's up?
Lane: Well, I found the greatest record store in the world, it's ten minutes from your school, and I'm wondering how much you love me.
Rory: Address.
Lane: Record Breaker, Incorporated. 2453 Berlin Turnpike.
Rory: Got it. Place your order now.
Lane: Yes. Charles Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.
Rory: Right.
Lane: The Sonics, Here Are the Sonics.
Rory: Burn me a copy. Next.
Lane: MC5, Kick Out the Jams, Fairport Convention, Liege and Lief, Bee Gees, Odess-..."
Rory: Bee Gees? Really?
Lane: (placing hand on MOJO cover) Well, MOJO says..."
Rory: So it must be true.
Lane: Okay, that's it. Now, if I can just find a copy of Whistler, Chaucer, Detroit and Greenhill, I will finally be done with the sixties.
Rory: I'll get there today. Tomorrow at the latest.
Lane: I love it when you go back to school.

No comments: